We, the G7 Overseas Ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK, and the USA of America, and the Excessive Consultant of the European Union, have endorsed the next Motion Plan:
A lot has already been achieved by our efforts to finish the COVID-19 pandemic in 2022, with international vaccine provide now quickly accelerating. Nonetheless, there stay important gaps within the international response to the present well being disaster. Challenges stay to deal with fairness on this COVID-19 pandemic and future pandemic preparedness. As G7, we’ve a specific accountability to work with implementing international locations and economies to assist handle these gaps. Given the extensive ranging impacts of the pandemic, Overseas Ministers have an important position to play in making certain that complete, cross-cutting and swift motion is taken.
Our contribution as Overseas Ministers to the general G7 engagement in World Well being in 2022 will deal with collectively addressing gaps within the international COVID-19 vaccination marketing campaign, together with in vital ’final mile’ contexts and with a deal with weak teams, increasing emphasis and assist for frontline well being employees and vital gear. In keeping with different G7 initiatives, we’ll work with international locations and the worldwide neighborhood to start planning for the continued COVID-19 response for 2023 and past to assist construct political dedication for preparedness for the longer term.
This effort aligns to the WHO World Vaccination Technique and the dedication taken by G20 on the Leaders’ Summit in Rome in October 2021. To this finish we decide to:
• Proceed to speed up our efforts to make sure equitable and fast international distribution of secure, efficient, quality-assured and inexpensive vaccines in addition to entry to complementary diagnostics, therapeutics, and different important well being merchandise consistent with nation wants by:
o Contributing to finance and assist, by all means, the efforts of ACT-A and its COVAX platform, notably in low- and center revenue international locations. The G7 have already supplied and pledged 18.33 billion USD for ACT-A, of which 12.36 billion USD fall to the COVAX vaccine pillar together with GAVI, CEPI, WHO and UNICEF.
o The place wanted and accessible, sharing extra doses of secure and efficient vaccines, with no political strings connected, and utilizing accountable practices in vaccine donations. The G7 have already donated 1.18 billion doses and stand able to share extra doses, primarily based on the wants and capacities of nations and the need to have a worldwide optimum allocation of vaccines (procured by COVAX straight or by way of donations).
• Carefully coordinating with producers, COVAX, regional organizations and recipient international locations and economies in any respect ranges to assist efficient donor coordination efforts, and to optimize manufacturing rhythm and additional enhance the sharing course of, higher align supply timelines with nation wants and capacities and handle points resembling shelf life and to extend transparency and visibility and phasing of deliberate deliveries.
• Working with governments, the COVID-19 Vaccine Supply Partnership and different related stakeholders to assist 115 international locations in want, notably LICs, with 3.95 billion USD to deal with logistical, planning in addition to human sources challenges on the “final mile” to make sure that vaccines grow to be precise vaccinations, together with by:
o Supporting international locations with syringes and different ancillary gear;
o Offering evidence-based coaching on the protection and efficacy of vaccines; and construct capability for entrance line well being and care employees, increasing the frontline healthcare workforce;
o Constructing belief in public establishments and combatting mis- and disinformation on the bottom by way of partaking with communities and tailor-made data campaigns, primarily based on scientific and factual proof;
o Enhancing logistics by way of public-private partnerships (chilly chains);
o Enhancing coordination of concrete measures on the bottom amongst donors and implementing businesses as a way to keep away from duplication and create synergies between completely different actions, guided by the WHO and different related multilateral actors concerned, as applicable;
o Integrating measures inside strengthened well being methods to make sure COVID-19 vaccine supply doesn’t weaken different vital well being measures, however quite reinforces nationwide immunization methods;
o Supporting nationwide and sub-national campaigns in direction of the 70% goal, prioritizing protection amongst well being and frontline employees, the aged, and the immunocompromised.
• Leaving nobody behind in our international vaccination marketing campaign by placing a particular deal with traditionally marginalized and weak teams, particularly refugees, rural communities, and ladies and ladies, notably these dwelling in disaster or in humanitarian contexts, and calling for the total operationalization of the COVAX Humanitarian Buffer, a helpful measure of final resort to achieve probably the most weak communities and humanitarian settings.
• Defending entrance line well being care employees and sustainably strengthening nationwide well being methods, e.g. by supporting detection and surveillance capacities in any respect ranges.
• Rising sustainable native and regional manufacturing capacities in growing international locations, by way of partnerships for voluntary know-how transfers on mutually agreed phrases and different related types of assist with an emphasis on supporting sustainable long-term capability constructing for secure, efficient and quality-assured COVID-19 vaccines, in addition to wider vaccine and important medical wants resembling anti-virals, permitting us to be versatile to answer this and future pandemics.
• We subsequently decide to supporting a diversified international vaccine manufacturing by supporting capacities in low and center revenue international locations by way of sharing data, experience and financing.
We are going to carefully coordinate with different like-minded companions, worldwide and UN organizations in addition to multilateral and regional initiatives to pool our efforts. G7 Overseas Ministers acknowledge the criticality of responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, and in parallel constructing international well being safety capability and structure for the longer term.